Interview with Tim Jerome Gympie Mayoral Candidate 2020



If elected as a mayor what would be more important - supporting small entrepreneurs or attracting big business to the Gympie region.

TJ- I believe it is more important for council to support small businesses over big businesses. Small businesses are the backbone of any community.


If elected as mayor, what three steps would you take to put our council on a firmer financial footing.


TJ- Council needs to operate in the black. Council need to not spend over what we bring in from rates and charges. The balance is to attract small business to our region that will generate money into our economy. Offering things like no set up fees or no rates to attract new businesses is what I would be advocating for. Sometimes you have to give a bit to get a lot more in return.


If you could change one thing in our zoning code, what would it be and why ?


TJ- The zoning code question is too broad to give an answer. Every situation is different and needs to be judged on its own individual merit. 

If you are elected as mayor what is the first thing council should do to improve the water standard in the region, I believe you are aware of the  situation in Goomeri and some other towns in Marry Valley area, and in a broader spectrum, How are you going to address some of the issues of concern about water and sewerage.


TJ- The question on sewage and water. I believe we need to be asking advice from some to the old-time residents who have drilled for water in the region. From what I understand we seem to be drilling and not getting results. I don’t claim to be an expert in the field but one thing I have learnt over my time on this earth is ask advice from locals-get local advice. Obviously renewing the old sewage infrastructure is a must for the region.


How do you plan to involve residents in the decision making process in our region and What are your plans for engaging with young people


TJ- I am very much a communicator. I love to listen to other people to find the best solutions. I don’t see the point in trying to reinvent the wheel. Conversely, I don’t see the point in trying to find a solution to a problem when someone else has already found the solution. I will be expecting my councillors to be meeting with their divisions and conducting listening nights where they listen to the concerns of their electorates and then councillors meeting with me to talk and work together on meeting the needs of each electorate. Inviting our young people to voice their concerns and thoughts would be a must.

Transparency in local council is a serious concern for many people. Do you think that the Council gives the public the right amount of information and access to meetings?


TJ- The answer to transparency: No! Council are not very transparent at the moment. The reintroduction of general business will be a good start. Live streaming council meetings so you can see how your councillor representative voted and pleaded your cause will be a given. I think tying in this with what I am advocating of councillor listening meetings will build trust back into the community. At the end of day, I believe councillors receive a very good salary and I would be expecting more of their time in listening to the community and then communicating solutions to the public in their division. The public should not be expected to take ownership of a project that is forced on them without sufficient community consultation and involvement. As you can see from my website I am very big on community consultation, community involvement with council.


One of the independently commissioned reports project that the Mary Valley Rattler will inject 10 million dollars to the local economy and create 70 jobs. However the council has already spent 29 million dollars and the rattler railway company is running at approx half a million dollars loss for the year. So what will be the course of action regarding the Rattler if you are elected as a mayor.


TJ- The Rattler has been a problem from day one. There was lack of community involvement and the project was rushed through. I personally refuse to back the Rattler until I can see the official financial figures and the official report. As you have already worked out I am not going to take ownership of a project until I see all the information, nor do I expect anyone else to do likewise. The first step would be to stop the unlimited financial backing that council have agreed to. The Rattler needs to stand on its own two feet. I personally would scale back the Rattler until we receive the official report. The analogy “we have got to make this project work because we have spent too much money already” does not make sense to me. I work with businesses to advise them  how to make their businesses viable and sustainable. The business principle with the Rattler is all wrong. I would be working at having this changed. 


Environmentally friendly projects tend to offer lower returns then less friendly ones so how will you balance economic, social and environmental issues for the region if elected as mayor?


TJ- Eco tourism is one of the great untapped business potential that this region is not taking advantage of as of yet. I would be advocating and cutting red tape for these businesses to flourish in the region. 
I believe attracting new businesses to the region by offering no set up fees and or cheaper rates for the first couple of years will be a good incentive to attract new businesses. I live by the motto give a little to get more back. I believe council have been too quick to take money instead of giving a bit to reap bigger rewards like attracting new businesses which will boost the local economy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The connection between David Jones and the creation of Goomeri.

Goomeri Project Photography Contest

Interview with Glen Hartwig Gympie Mayoral Candidate 2020