Interview with Bec Smart



Goomeri Project - Hi Bec, welcome to The Goomeri Project and our very first Get To Know Your Local people,  Just a quick introduction , you are a mother and wife, a full time daycare carer and a body builder. You competed in your first competition at the age of 43 at the QLD Rookie Titles , so how do you manage the balance between a training schedule, your work and personal life?

Bec Smart
Trying to fit everything in the day is extremely hard at times. You must have a routine,  but also be flexible and be able to work around things when you have a change. Lots of dedication, commitment and self discipline is a must. Having family that understand how important your journey/ goal is makes it a little easier to, supporting me n helping me when I need it. I work roughly 9 to 10 hrs a day and training 2 hrs × 4 days, 3 hrs × 2 days a week. I always make sure I take time out for myself to have coffee with friends and family,  enjoy a massage and do the simple things in life like go to the beach and relax. 

Goomeri Project - Women (and men in many cases) are subjected to ridiculous health standards on a regular basis. Between dieting and workout routine, there are far too many misconceptions out there. Like women have been pegged the queens of cardio and heavy lifting will make you loose certain aspect of femininity. What you would like to say to the women who are thinking or decided to do body building ?

Bec Smart
For anyone contemplating bodybuilding all I can say is " go for it, don't ever look back and dream big"  A well built physique reflects hard work, dedication, self respect, discipline, and dignity. It doesn't come easy and I see it as a sign of a strong women mentally and physically.

Goomeri Project - What competition are you training for at the moment and what presents the biggest challenge to you when preparing for a contest?

Bec Smart
I am currently training for a September 2018 comp in Brisbane. The biggest challenge I have is juggling work, family time and training. This is hard! I have always been a healthy eater so the diet plan is what I would normally eat, BUT at some stages the cravings are a hard part.

That is where you need self control, discipline and keep remembering the goal your aiming for. I always get ample support from my family, friends, my awesome coach Brady, Prue and all my friends at the gym. They are what keep me going 

Goomeri Project - For other women and mothers out there supplementing their diet Briefly touch upon what kind of diet you follow ? Are you a believer in supplements?

Bec Smart
My daily diet consists of a huge variety of fresh salads, vegetables,  fruits, nuts, rice crackers  and a source of protein. Protein is eaten  multiple times a day and certain amounts to what my body needs.  I have beef, chicken,  turkey, egg whites, fresh fish, salmon and occasional pork as a protein source. Drinking plenty of water and different types of teas and electrolytes through out my day. I do make protein treats using a protein powder.  These are eaten occasionally and thoroughly enjoyed. I do believe you can achieve muscle mass without supplements being a protein source.


Goomeri Project - One of the biggest challenge with starting at the gym or any physical activity is lack of inspiration and not enough to motivate . What would you like to say to all the women and men who are thinking of joining the gym or activity classes for the first time.

Bec Smart
For anyone thinking of going to the gym or attending a fitness class for the first time my advise is " just do it, get out there and give it a go, you might actually enjoy it!" "It's addictive "

Goomeri Project - Thank you very much for your time Bec , all the best with your future endeavour and have a great mothers day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The connection between David Jones and the creation of Goomeri.

Goomeri Project Photography Contest

Interview with Glen Hartwig Gympie Mayoral Candidate 2020